Saturday, August 26, 2006

Up and Down Shoal Creek [Entered 9/3/06]

Saturday, I set out with the gang for an abbreviated long run. The Chicago folks were going 20-22 miles, and we just didn't need that kind of distance. So, Emily and I banded together for a shorter run in the 12-13 mile range. We'd just choose a spot to turn around which gave us a halfway number that we liked, since the course was out and back. We started in a different spot, just off Robert E. Lee Dr., near the old Wilke parking lot, for a change of pace.

Anyway, we started with the Chicago folks at their 5:30am start time, and I was already on a sleep deficit due to a ragged night of sleep before. The weather was very humid and warm, as it has been, and so I decided to take advantage of all water stops so that I wouldn't suffer a dehydration bonk. We rolled along in the dark with a group of fall marathoners, including Brian, Jan and Brad, and were pleasantly surprised to find a water stop early at O. Henry. We all took advantage of water and Powerade, and moved on.

The chatter was fun, but I sensed that most of the people were being pretty focused since it was going to be a very long morning. Folks weren't quite as happy-go-lucky as they usually are early in a run. Can't blame them much. Up Exposition, then over on 35th, I was struggling a little. I just felt out of sorts, which probably was more due to sleep than anything else. My HR numbers were great, so it was more mental than physical, I think. Anyway, we reached the next water/Powerade stop just north of 35th on Shoal Creek, and we tanked up again. Richard, Thon, and Mike caught up with us at that point, and we took off from that water stop with the big crew.

By now, Emily and I had decided that 12 miles was just fine for the day, so we turned around precisely at 6 miles, to the derisive commentary of the full marathoners. We can take it, my friends! Feeling just a shade guilty, we turned around and enjoyed a nice downhill stretch, which explained some of my discomfort earlier in the run. We caught Mike on the way back, who had turned around about the same spot, but just earlier in time than we did. As we reached the Shoal Creek / 35th water stop one last time, our new trio of runners tanked up for the rest of the return trip home.

We were drenched, but already heading back, I was feeling better and better. Patrick's group of faster runners arrived as we were leaving (they started later than we did), and after a quick exchange of verbosity, we were off again.

We had some fun conversation, which took our minds off of the task at hand. Since we were pretty sure that there wouldn't be water/Powerade for the rest of the run, we made a stop at the Starbucks on Exposition, and they were nice enough to provide a frosty cup of ice and water for each of us. It was so cold that it gave me a brain freeze. Ouch! We were happy to finish up the rolling hills of Exposition soon after that, and grabbed one last drink of water at Mopac. Almost done!

We picked it up slightly for the final stretch, but didn't set any bigtime speed records on our way to the finish. As we finished at the parking lot, we ran up on some sort of musical presentation being filmed outdoors near Barton Springs. Only in Austin...

The numbers weren't inspiring, but we put the work in, nonetheless. Totals were 12.02 miles, average pace 9:21 running, but 10:10/mile including all the water stops. I'll score it as a decent effort.

Emily had to get going, so she headed out. I had plenty of time to wait for the marathoners, since it was just 7:45am, so I took my time. 6 nice striders restored my legs a bit, and then I gratefully consumed my post-run Endurox from my stash in the car. I hung out in the park for a while as they faster people started finishing the long run, and it was pretty relaxing, I must say.

Pete had a super fast run, going most of the way with Bernard, and as he rattled off his splits for the run, I just had to shake my head. Those fast guys are just wired up differently than we are. :-)

Gilbert told me to get the stretching underway, even though all the marathoners weren't back yet. They rolled in by the time we were 10-15 minutes into the routine, and it looked like they had had a pretty good day. Stretching was fun, except for all the little ants that decided to visit us as we stretched.

I joined Brad, Jan, Frank, Alex and Brian for the cold soak at Barton Springs, and it was awesomely refreshing. The total immersion entry into the cold water was, uh, inspiring, but it felt just great once I caught my breath. We laughed a lot as we soaked away, and even saw Rich, Christine and Banjo as they enjoyed the Springs as a family unit. What a nice finish to the day!

No comments: