Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Talkin' 'Bout My G-G-G-Gymnasium

Finally! It's only been weeks and weeks since last I darkened the door of my friendly neighborhood gym. It turns out that they don't keep track of such information, and so I wasn't grabbed at the door and held up as an example of a slacker. Good for me.

At any rate, after teaching my class at McCallum High School today, I dashed over to Gold's Gym for a return workout. After 15 minutes of warmup on the cycle, I moved to the core stuff. I only did one set of the core stuff today, trying to ease back into the full routine by next week. I did add the static leg raises that Gilbert prescribed for me yesterday, doing 2 x 30 seconds of that, then 2 x 30 seconds of the "plank" core exercise where you hold your body rigidly on your elbows and toes, and finished off that portion of the festivities with 2 x 20 seconds of the side/oblique raises, balanced on one elbow/forearm and the side of one foot.

Moved from that to the leg stuff, but I skipped the 4-way hip machine today. I did do a single set of extensions, hamstring curls, calf raises (2 positions), and then one set of weighted lunges. Just wanted to get the feel for where I am right now.

Then, I moved to the upper body stuff. There, I did 2 sets of everything like normal, but I backed off just a touch on weight on those, since it's been so long since I last did them. That was a nice way to finish off the workout.

So, it was great to get back to the gym, I enjoyed lots of tunes on the iPod while I labored away, and now I just need to rest up for the mile repeats tomorrow with the fall marathoners. Friday, when I return to the gym, I'll get back to the full numbers of sets of exercises, but I'll take it slowly building weight back up to where I left it when I was last diligent about the gym. It's all a part of a cohesive training regimen, you know, and I want to be better about dealing with Gilbert's surprise core workouts when they happen.

No comments: